French toast of whole grain bread to increase fiber
Photo Credit- Wikimedia Commons by Len Rizzi
Saturday, 5 September 2015
The increased body weight could be easily reduced by taking high fiber foods. The fiber strengthens the digestive system and helps in the digestion of the food we eat. The inclusion of the high fiber foods in regular diet saves us from several diseases.
Let us know about the foods containing fiber in rich amounts.
The daily diet containing 25 to 30 grams of fiber is called high fiber diet plan. The fibrous foods, whole grains, apple, banana, pear, strawberry, orange and green leafy vegetables contain rich amounts of fiber.
What is High Fiber Diet?
Fiber is of two types, the soluble fiber and the insoluble fiber. The soluble fiber easily gets digested in colon which is found in apple and oats. The insoluble fiber does not get dissolved in water and gets digested in big intestine.
Salad is the best option for high fiber food. The raw vegetables and fruits used in salad contain antioxidants, natural enzymes and fiber which regulate and control the weight of the body.
The sour or citrus fruits are the rich sources of calcium, mineral and fiber which are very necessary for the overall growth and development of the body. The pectin present in lemon dissolves the fats of the body and slows down the digestive system so that the person does not feel hungry after eating anything as it happens in obesity.
The whole grains, wheat flour, flour husk, rice husk, peels of fruits and vegetables, dry fruits and seeds are the rich sources of fiber.
Fiber Helps in Weight Loss
Fiber is a special type of carbohydrate which passes through the human digestive system without getting broken or changed. It directly changes into nutrients.
The main purpose of fiber is to maintain the health of the digestive system.
The high fiber diet soon fills the stomach and helps to control the hunger. It takes time to chew the fiber rich food which results into fewer intakes of the food and calories.
The intake of the fibrous food reduces the levels of sugar in blood. The regulated amount of sugar in blood saves from the repeated urge of hunger. As a result it helps to control the habit of eating something throughout the day.
The high fiber diet controls the levels of sugar and cholesterol in blood.
It regulates the digestive system.
Right Intake of Fiber
The optimum daily intake of fiber for the women above 50 is 21 grams, while it is 30 grams for the men. In case of those below 50, it is 25 grams ans 38 grams for women and men respectively. The excess amounts of fiber than the required levels may cause constipation.
Every fourth Diabetic in the World is an Indian
There are about 4.2 Million diabetic patients in the world, out of which 10 Million are found is India. These statistics were released by the first global report of World Health Organization. Diabitics is taking the form of a fatal disease in South Asian Nations including India. Every fourth diabetic patient in the world belongs to India.
In the coming years the diabetic is likely to become a serious problem in India. Due to lack of awareness the people of India generally abstain from physical labor and exercises. With the changing lifestyles and the letharegic attitude is making Indians prone todiabetes.
On World health Day the WHO disclosed that diabetics is spreading very fast in India and South Asian countries. Therefore special efforts should be made to check the problem otherwise the situation will get out of control.
During the last couple of decades the numbers of patients suffering from diabetics have increased more in developing countries than in developed nations. The diabetic could become the 7th most deadly and fatal disease in the world.
Several researches have disproved the belief that diabetics is caused by excessive intake of sugar. There are great numbers of patients who disliked eating sugar and sweet things, but even then they suffr from diabetic. Diabetic is not caused by sugar, but one has to abstain from it, if once the disease is detected.
A lot of irregularities have come up in the normal life due to the present age of technology and comforts. The occurrence of diabetics and obesity has reached at dangerous levels in India.
Guava is a fruit full of several health benefits. It contains proteins, fats, calcium and vitamins. The vitamin C remains present on the peel and right below it which goes on decreasing towards the core. But this amount increases with the ripening of the fruit.
Guava at a fruit stall
Photo Credit- Wikimedia Commons by Sakurai Midori
The intake of guava has following health benefits.
1. The intake of the mixture of 10 gram of guava juice with equal amount of sugar for 21 days in empty stomach increases the appetite and provides extra glow to the skin too.
2. The application of the paste of raw guava on head before sunrise gives relief in headache.
3. Prepare the paste of the leaves of guava and eat it with black salt to get relief in arthritis and joint pains.
4. The intake of the boiled extract of the soft leaves of guava with black pepper helps in fever.
5. In case of cold and flu go to the bed at night by filling the stomach by eating enough fruits of guava without taking water. By next sunrise there will be a drastic improvement.
6. In constipation, the intake of the intake of the salad of ripe guava with radish, mint and carrot for few days is very beneficial.
Tamarind is the most popular sour spice in Indian cuisines. It has several uses in different recipes and is used in sweet drinks, snacks, sauces, pickles and foods.
It has antiseptic and cool properties and reduces the fever too.
The shucks, fruit flesh and pips of Tamarind
Photo Credit- Wikimedia Commons by kaʁstn Disk/Cat
It contains C, E and B vitamin, calcium, iron, phosphorus, potassium, manganese and fiber. It is also full of antioxidants and all these things work as a health package.
Tamarind has several health benefits.
1. Put a little cinnamon, green cardamom, brown sugar of jaggery or gur and tamarind in a saucer of water and take it 2-3 times a day for the loss of appetite.
2. It helps in digestion due to the presence of fiber in it.
3. Tamarind gives relief in constipation and diarrhea. For the purpose take the powder of the seeds of tamarind with water.
4. It helps in weight loss due to the presence of hydroxy citric acid, which increases the formation of fat reducing enzymes in the body.
5. It increases the blood circulation in the body and removes the iron deficiency. It increases the formation of red blood corpuscles, improves memory, gives energy in weakness and strengthens the disease fighting immune system of the body.
6. In case of piles, take equal amounts of mustard oil and butter oil and fry the leaves of tamarind in it. Add the dry seeds of pomegranate, dry ginger, dry seeds of coriander and cook it for some time. Add curd to it and take it 2-3 times a day.
7. Eat tamarind with Dalia or ground wheat to get relief if the blood comes in piles.
8. Tamarind is full of vitamin B which helps in the development of muscles. The thymine present in it helps in proper functions of veins and arteries and builds the muscles.
9. To get relief in swelling of any type, take a cup of wheat flour, tamarind leaves, tamarind juice, a pinch of salt and boil the contents for some time. Apply the paste on affected area a let it remain there for some time.
10. The paste of the bark of tamarind helps to cure black spots or on face.
11. The tamarind juice in oil is mixed and put into the ear to get relief in ear sores.
12. In case of sunstroke and headache caused in sunlight, the juice of tamarind gives instant relief.
13. The ripe tamarind helps in indigestion and improves the taste of the mouth.
14. It removes the worms and tapeworms from the intestine.
15. It acts as a heart tonic.
16. The powder of the seeds of tamarind is applied on Scorpion bites.
17. Keep the seeds of tamarind soaked in water overnight and eat them after taking off the peels to get relief from back ache.
18. Tamarind removes the uric acid from the body and gives relief in gout and rheumatism.
19. Apply the paste of tamarind on dark circles around the eyes.
20. It is also used as a face mask when used with milk for skin lightening. Wash and clean the tamarind and remove all the seeds. Soak it in warm water and use it for skin tightening.
21. When taken with sugar it gives relief in heart inflammation.
22. The intake of the juice of tamarind helps in nausea and vomiting.
23. In case of injury or sprain, boil the leaves of tamarind in water and and give its bath to the effected part.
24. The application of the paste of tamarind removes the dead skin cells from the face.